We are living in the world were most of what we consume on a daily basis are full of calories, sugar, toxins, fat, carbonate, fertilizer and other harmful substances. These fast food affects the body and it’s immune system in one way or another. For these reasons, we must learn to consume more of the natural food and healthy drinks that are loaded with nutritional benefits to keep the body fit, healthy and maintain the body’s weight. One of the natural healthy food is Apple Cider Vinegar.
Apple cider vinegar also known as AVC is a vinegar containing acetic acid made from fermented apple juice which has a lot of healthy benefits. It is processed by the addition of yeast so to convert the apple juice to alcohol and adding bacteria to the alcohol to ferment it into acetic acid.
Traditionally, apple cider takes about one month to be produced but most manufacturers these days add artificial to speed up the process so it can be available in a day. Due to this process, some artificial ingredients are added to the cider to yield the vinegar quickly. And these ingredients are dangerous to the body.
So here is the simplest way to make your own cider a home.
How to make apple cider Vinegar
I always take my time to peel apple each time I want to eat or use it for salad because I don’t really like those green part. Don’t get me wrong, I know how important apple is to the body, but you see the green peels, it’s for the dustbin. Then a visit to my Aunt changed the whole thing.
Each time I peel apple, she will pack all the scraps and store in her fridge. Out of curiosity, I asked her, she said “for apple cider vinegar”. Meaning all these while I was literally wasting the most important part of the fruit. And you know how expensive it is in the market, then I asked her to coach me.
So I decided to make my own ACV few weeks ago, it came out fine and am here to share the recipe.
- 4-5 medium apples – wash, peel the apples to get the scraps and chop the cores (if you want to use the whole apple)
- 3-4 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup of chopped sugar cane
- 4 cups of water
- Jar – either wide or super wide mouth jar, just wash and clean it
- Rubber band
- Coffee filter or cheesecloth
What to do?
- Wash and clean the jar
- Place the apple scraps and the cores in the jar.
- Dissolve the sugar in the water and pour over the scraps.
- Chop the sugar cane and add in the jar
- Add more water, to make sure that the scraps are completely covered with water.
- Cover the jar with a coffee filter and use rubber band to secure it.
- Store the jar in a dark area at a room temperature – I placed mine under the bed.
- Allow to sit for at least 3 weeks. But always stir the mixture at least once everyday to speed up the fermentation process and also to prevent the formation of mold.
- At a point, mostly on the 15 day, you will notice fizz with some fairly sweet smell (The Mother of the Vinegar) and little amount of bubbles on the surface of the scraps, sieve/strain the ingredients out and dispose them.
- Return the strained liquid in the jar, cover with the coffee filter and place it back in the dark area.
- Stir and taste the liquid every day until it reaches your desired tartness and acidic level.
- Transfer to a different clean closed jar to stop the fermentation process.
- Store in your refrigeration and it can stay for about a year.
Now you don’t have to spend much in buying the proceed vinegar, you can easily make yours at home. Is there any other ingredient you will like to add to your apple cider vinegar? Let us know via the comment section.